সোমবার, ২৫শে মে ২০২৬, ১০ই জ্যৈষ্ঠ ১৪৩৩ | E-Paper
Breaking news:
  • সারাদেশে জেলা ও উপজেলা প্রতিনিধি নিয়োগ করা হচ্ছে। আগ্রহী হলে আপনার সিভি ই-মেইল করতে পারেন। ই-মেইল edailyvoa@gmail.com
News Headlines:
  • Police administration belongs to no party, will operate under the law: PM
  • Can NCP progress while remaining aligned with Jamaat?
  • Masud Uddin behind inhumane acts during 1/11 govt: Chief Prosecutor
  • Eviction Drive by Roads and Highways Department at Kesharhat Market
  • Children received neither vaccines nor vitamin A, measles deaths rising also due to malnutrition
  • Suvendu Adhikari takes oath as West Bengal's first BJP CM, PM Modi and Amit Shah attend
  • 5 members of a family found slaughtered in Kapasia, head of household absconding: Police
  • Tarique Rahman joins views-exchange meeting with BNP dist-level leaders
  • Trump announces three-day Ukraine-Russia ceasefire
  • World Cup to hold trio of opening ceremonies in Mexico, the US, and Canada

8 die in Sylhet truck-pickup collision, all construction workers

Sylhet Correspondent

Published:
৩ মে ২০২৬, ১৫:০৫

Eight people have died in a head-on collision between a truck and a pickup van in Sylhet. The incident occurred at around 6:00 am on Sunday in the Telibazar area of South Surma.

All the deceased were construction workers. At least 12 others were injured.

Authorities have so far identified four of the deceased. They are Md Suruj Ali, 60 from Bhatipara in Dirai upazila of Sunamganj; Munni, 35 from Setti in the same upazila; Md Faridul, 35 from Nurnagar of Dirai; and Md Badrul, 30 from Lalargaon under Jalalabad thana in Sylhet.

Several of the injured told this correspondent that they had been travelling in the pickup van from Ambarkhana in Sylhet to Lalabazar in South Surma to carry out concrete casting work at a building site.

There were 20 construction workers on board, along with a concrete mixer machine. When the pickup reached the Telibazar area, it collided head-on with a truck carrying jackfruit coming from the opposite direction.

The impact threw all the passengers from the vehicle, resulting in multiple casualties.

Confirming the incident, Officer-in-Charge of South Surma police station, Md Ashraful, told Prothom Alo, “The truck and the pickup are still at the scene. We are in the process of seizing them.”

Additional Deputy Commissioner (Media) of Sylhet metropolitan police, Md Monjurul Alam, told Prothom Alo that authorities are collecting the names and addresses of the victims.

He added that the bodies have been kept at the morgue of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College.


Comment:

Related news